Monday, September 10, 2007

Who does such a thing?

In a new section to be named "HEY, PUT THAT DOWN....."

As I walked to my car this morning, I noticed something was weird. After staring for a few moments, I noticed that the antenna was missing. I tried to remember whether my antenna was one of those that retracted when the radio was off, but to the best of my recollection, it wasn't. The first logical conclusion would be that that it was a victim of gravity, but closer inspection revealed that it was actually lost to theft. Yes. Someone stole my car antenna. They didn't break it off. No. They carefully screwed it off. There is an inch long threaded piece of metal - which used to hold the antenna in place - that now protrudes from my car. Someone worked hard at getting the thing off it's perch. My car is pretty old, and rust should have been a deterrent. But besides that, why? What exactly can you do with a detached car antenna? Is it some sort of sick game of tag, where someone steals yours and you steal someone else’s? I can't imagine any other use for a used car antenna that was recently liberated from its owner. Unfortunately, I can't tell my antenna apart from any other - but from now on, I'll be on the lookout for everyone sporting a coat hanger wrapped around the little stump on the hood of their car. Potential thief, or another victim?

Labels: