Tuesday, December 27, 2005

No Respect

The city is full of people. Lots of tourists and lots and lots of fantastic people watching. For some reason, this year I've developed a fascination with women wearing fur coats. The outfits they've assembled have kept me entertained while walking down crowded sidewalks and almost made the slow go bearable. Almost.

Three words: tacky, tacky, and tacky. While you can see some good fashion sense in the streets of New York City, there is also an over abundance of, well, lack of good taste. Wearing an expensive item of clothing or several, for that matter, does not guarantee the wearer of such items to look good. Quite of the contrary, if you consider the examples below.

I don't like fur and I think it's quite barbaric. But that aside, if you must wear it, please show the dead animal some respect and dress nicely, please. Most of the fur-wearing women I saw were middle aged, but some were younger, some were older. While I'm by no means a connoisseur of fur, seemed to me that the young crowd went for rabbit, and the older women for long, brown and gaudy.

I saw a woman wearing a full-length fur coat, black capris, black nylons and black elastic mules. Another had on a 3/4 length coat, flat patent leather shoes and black tights. Yet another did fur with black cowboy boots and, my personal favorite, a full-length fur coat with blue sweat pants and black slippers.

Sadly, I don't see an end to the fur faux pas, but with the warm weather, hopefully the furs will stay inside... or not.

Labels: