Sunday, September 23, 2007

Melancholy and the infinite longing for summer

So this was the last week of summer. I don’t really know what happened to summer – went by so incredibly fast. I managed to get my white ass to the beach a whopping one time. Who needs a new bathing suit for that? I certainly didn’t – which is why I wore the old one, crunchy elastic and all. You know, just hoping for the best but bracing for the worst, should gravity take over. Luckily, I made it through one more summer without having to go through the über-humiliating experience of buying swimwear, and than being further humiliated by having to wear it in public. And yet, summer is still my favorite season of the year. I suppose I’m a glutton for punishment.

To celebrate the passing of the season, I was the lucky recipient of a nasty cold. Sore throat, coughing and green snot! As I sit here sucking on a cough drop I can’t taste, I wonder why is it that summer used to seem so long when you were a kid?

Labels: