Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More LA

There is not much in downtown Los Angeles. It’s like the opposite of New York. Sure, there are cars, but the city streets are not congested (the freeway, on the other hand…).

I went for a walk yesterday for recognizance, to fend off boredom, and to find something to eat. Since I don’t have a car, I’m confined to whatever is within walking distance.

All I can say is that I am in a different planet. I’m so used to walking everywhere and, it’s so true about the song: nobody walks in LA – that is except for me and the homeless. It was almost eerie. There was a strange emptiness to everything. It was 4:30 pm, and most of the people were gone.

Starving after a flight where they don’t offer food – unless you want to purchase it (exact change is appreciated) I had to find me some real food. After some walking, I found some grub and sat outside to eat. I ate a Greek salad with a side of hair, since it was breezy and my hair kept blowing in my mouth. MMMMMMM.

On my way back, I stopped by a convenience store to pick up some soda and snackies, and I was not prepared for what I saw next: a soup machine! Yes. A machine that dispenses soup, not unlike those that spew out coffee or soda. But soup? Genius! Why has this fantastic invention not made its way east?

Speaking of fantastic inventions, downtown LA is full of escalators of the outdoor variety. They are everywhere, baking in the sun, exposed to the elements. And not a single one was out of order, or closed for scheduled maintenance. How come escalator that live outside seem to work flawlessly, while those back east seem to require so much maintenance INDOORS?

Labels: