Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Shoes

Since I'm not exactly gainfully employed at the moment, at lest not in the sense in which I was accustomed to, I'm trying my best to be thrifty and not spend much. Rather than shop, mostly I spend my time walking, writing and annoying our cat, Tigger - he came with that name when we got him, so zip it.

Today I was exceedingly bored and beginning to develop a near obsession with a $165 The North Face jacket which seems to never go on sale, so I decided to go shoe shopping to see if I could shake the jacket thing. It's not even cold, so the whole thing is really irrational. I went to DSW to peruse and maybe find some chap thrill to apply my $5 birthday discount and thereby get enough endorphins going in my brain to satisfy the jacket craving. Every time I go there I hope to find a secret stash of Jimmy Choo shoes, just like a found my green Docs at Marshalls for $20 back when grunge was huge. Anyway, it's a fantasy, like owning a magic carpet, that I know it will never happen.

The closest DSW was mostly uneventful. I long ago learned that it is way more fun to go there during a downpour, because their ceiling leaks and there are buckets everywhere to collect the rain water.

They had all the same stuff, boots that don't fit my calves, ugly flats and lovely four-inch heels I have absolutely no place to wear. On the up side, it seems like kitten heel thing is mostly over, at least at the discount shoe place. Even I, the queen of ugly shoes, have standards and under no circumstance do they include kitten heels. Ever.

I ended up buying a pair of pink fuzzy slippers made to be worn outside. They were adorned with 3 pop-poms and because of a missing pom, they were banished to the clearance rack. The sale, plus my $5 birthday bucks netted me a pair of defective fuzzy slippers for $9.

As soon as I got home I cut the pom-poms off (like I said before, I have standards) and gave them to the cat, having turned them into instant cat toys. Tigger went mad, running around and carrying a pom-pom in his mouth from room to room, eyes wide open, ears pinned back and high on catnip.

While he sleeps it off, I lay on the couch contemplating my purchase, wondering if now it just means I no longer have to be just an indoor slob and I can look like one outdoors, too. After all, I now own a pair of all terrain pink fuzzy slippers.

Labels: