Monday, June 02, 2008

SATC = Star Wars for Women

I love Sex and the City as much as the next girl. I've been waiting for the movie with a mixture of curiosity, excitement and, well, dread. Not because I any story twists and turns - no - dread of the women who refer to the show by the acronym SATC, and Sarah Jessica Parker by SJP. These women scare me by taking the whole thing a bit too seriously. Being a girl (single or otherwise) in Manhattan is not at all like the TV show. Trust me.

Since the release of the film, women have been getting together with their girlfriends for a nigh out revolving around the movie (which is great - every excuse for a night out is a good one). With Cosmos and Appletinis, dressed in their best facsimile of Carrie & Co. fashion, they discuss which character best suits their personality: "I'm a Carrie," or "I'm definitely a Charlotte," defining their lives after a archetype: creative, good girl, brainy or slut.

I can't help but think that there isn't much difference between SATC and Star Wars, except perhaps better costumes.
Sure, I still want to see the film, and I want to find out what happens. But I will wait until the dust settles.

Labels: