Thursday, March 24, 2011

Catatonic the new black?

I was riding the subway the other day and a woman with one of those obnoxious double-wide strollers sat next to me. Her kids, a boy and a girl, seemed to be about 3 years old or so. Initially they were pleasant enough that I didn't mind the fact that the stroller was totally intruding on my leg space. I figured I should be the adult in this situation. Besides, it was a short ride.

About 5 minutes in, the little girl started to make squeal-y noises and to kick me. Her mother told her, very calmly, to stop. It didn't work. The squeals morphed to high-pitch fake crying and hard kicking.

Her mother did nothing. People were staring. When she got louder, the mother would slowly put her finger to her lips to indicate that the little girl should shoosh it.

Shockingly, that didn't work, either. At this point the fake crying has gone on for so long that there are crocodile tears forming. My stop was nearing and I got up extra early and made my way to the farthest door, hoping it would be quieter there. I looked back and saw the mother with a content-yet-blank look on her face that projected a "right now I'm seeing dancing unicorns and a leprechaun is bringing me a pot of gold" expression.

I realize that motherhood is a lot of work and that kids will be kids (within reason), but all  I could think was "easy on the Xanax lady!"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home