Saturday, January 21, 2006

Musings on TV

Consistent with my leaning towards becoming either a professional slob or a full time bum (I haven't decided on which yet, lots to consider and frankly it just takes too much effort), I flipped on the telly. Since I'm not working right now, I no longer have to pretend to work by surfing the web. I can simply let my brain slowly turn to goo by watching television.

To my surprise, NBC was showing a bull riding competition. It's wasn't like what you'd expect of a rodeo. This was in some sort of arena filled with an awful lot of people, not off on a ranch or anything like that. They even had the commentators; you know those who profess to know what was going on in the mind of the rider, just like they do with other spectator sports.

Perhaps calling bull riding a sport is a bit of a stretch. Seems to me to be more like a skill like bowling, except with much higher stakes since the most extreme bowling injury pales in comparison to having your head pounced on by a very angry bull. But who am I to bash any kind of activity, sporting or otherwise, in which my people give all the other participants a run for their money? It's not often that Brazilians dominate a sport or, um, activity, whatever you call it.

Regardless, I still don't understand why bull riding is on TV. In fact, I don't understand why a lot of stuff is on TV. I suppose no one does, really. Maybe the thing with bull riding has to do with watching people fall off - which they inevitably do, usually in less than eight seconds.

I also don't know why people enjoy others falling, crashing or otherwise injuring if not their bodies, certainly their egos before thousands of seemingly adoring fans. Take figure skating for example. I don't particularly care to watch it, unless the contestants fall down a lot. It makes it far more entertaining than a flawless triple lux or whatever they call the flippy jumpy thing.

I'm not sure who watches most of the crap that is on TV. The though of having to sit through a rose ceremony of the Bachelor makes me want to vomit... bull riding seems like a culturally sensible alternative by comparison. And that is so very sad. Thankfully, my local library has an absolutely amazing collection of documentaries on DVD. I'm about half way through what they have available. I may be going though a couch potato phase, but at least I can say I'm learning something....

Labels: